Sunday, October 7, 2012

Since I had the pleasure of going to the movies over the weekend, I decided to write my take on a short movie review for the film The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I hope you enjoy!


The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a film adaption of a book by Stephen Chbosky. This young adult coming of age film is told from the perspective of the main character Charlie, played by Logan Lerman. In the beginning of the film, Charlie is a social introvert who finds himself mixed into a group of upper classmen who've been friends for a long time.The film focuses on Charlie and this group of friends as they try and discover their respective identity while dealing with drug use, mental illness, and emotional wounds,

I went into this movie with high expectations from the acclaim of the novel and I left the theater a little let down. This is not to say the movie was bad, I just expected more. I felt as if the movie portrayed high school life in a cliche way, or, at least over dramatized the events in the film. Also, it was never made clear what time line the film was supposed to have taken place in. Mix tapes were a prevalent topic throughout, pointing to the film taking place in the late 80's early 90's. The only reason I know for sure that it takes place in the early 90's is because of the book. Little things like that took away from the plot. On a brighter note, the film was cast and acted brilliantly. All in all, the film left me wanting more.

-Sabrina 

No comments:

Post a Comment